Affordable SEO by SEOClerks

Monday, May 14, 2012

Journeying Overseas After a Combined Replacement

     After you have had a knee replaced, knowing when and how to travel for the first time on either long distance domestic flights or international flights can be challenging.
There are several tips that I have learned after flying several times overseas that I found have helped me and are also recommended by orthopedic surgeons for all knee replacement patients.
1. Arrive Early At The Airport.

     Though this is recommended for all travelers you will find that once you arrive at the gate you will have to pass through the metal detectors which will in turn set off the alarms. You than have to allow for several minutes for a pat down. What I do is go through the airport scanner this way they see the prosthesis and do not bother with the time it takes to find someone who can do the pat down. I find that carrying a joint replacement card does not do any good, you still have to go through the same process.
2. Buy Yourself a Pair Of Compression Stockings.

      This is one of the best investments you can make. I travel with a pair on every flight. I find you do not need the waist-high stockings as some people use, I have found that a good pair of knee-high stockings do the job just fine. You can buy a pair from a medical supply store for instance or you may find them at your local drug store. These are important do not forget them.
I still get some minor swelling in my foot if I fly overseas and the my knee replacement is over 13 years old.

3. Take a Baby Aspirin Before Boarding The Flight.

      I carry with me the 81 mg baby aspirin when I travel and make sure I take one about thirty minutes before boarding the flight.

4. Take a Walk Every Hour or Two.

     This is important not only for those of you who have had a knee replaced but for anyone who has a circulation problem or other medical condition. I make sure I get up every couple of hours at least and go to an area of the plane that allows me to stretch and work on exercises such as heel raises for the calves and partial mini-squats along with marching in place. I find these types of movements combined with walking in the isles beneficial in keeping the swelling to a minimum after knee replacement surgery.
When I fly overseas I generally take a flight that lasts for approximately 16 hours one way, so following these tips have helped me tremendously cut down on the discomfort that can be associated with long distance travel.
     If you have further concerns, be sure to talk with your orthopedic surgeon as well for some helpful advice on how to prepare to fly and, when you can actually begin to travel after joint

No comments: